JOB TITLE: TECHNICAL DIRECTOR
REPORTS TO: PRODUCTION MANAGER
GENERAL STATEMENT OF JOB FUNCTION:
A key position at Ensemble Theatre Company (ETC), the Technical Director (TD) manages all the Scenic elements related to company productions and events. The TD position should be held by an individual who has extensive understanding of theater drafting, mechanical and electrical engineering, welding and great organizational skills. The TD also acts as Shop Foreman for the scenic shop facility and supervises training and scheduling of all over-hires for all fabrication and installation requirements. The TD requests bids and purchases materials in consultation with the Production Manager, creates construction drawings in consultation with the Scenic Designer, Production Manager, and Director. The TD optimizes scenic department workflow, ensures facilities and equipment are in excellent operating order, and guarantees that material resources are available on a timely basis. The TD works closely with the Scenic Designer and other creatives to make certain that designs are realized in a timely and cost-effective basis. Flexibility and positivity are key.
Scenic Artist, Over Hire Carpenters, Props Master and assistants
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPOSIBILITIES:
Budgeting and Drafting:
- In collaboration with Scenic Designers, and the Production Manager the TD estimates, budgets, and tracks all expenditures of the scene shop during builds and installations as well as stage operations per all ETC productions and all outside bids as required.
- 3D draft all projects for accuracy and create shop drawings for build.
- Reports weekly an updated budget to the Production Manager.
Management and Scheduling:
- Coordinates with Production Management to assure that each production is installed on time and within budget.
- Collaborates closely with Production Manager, Master Electrician, Scenic Artist, Props Master for safe, cost-efficient and timely construction, load-in, and strike of each production.
- Monitors other department heads to ensure scheduling of stage time, needs concerning construction, and modifications needed to help any other department.
- Coordinates maintenance of scene shop and some theatre facility as required.
- Ensures that all shop personnel are trained in the proper use and maintenance of all power tools and mechanics necessary for daily use in the shop.
- Oversees the Inventory and maintenance of all stock scenery, soft goods, and saved scenic units.
- Ensures inventory of construction materials, hardware, and expendables needed for each production as well as yearly upkeep for the scene shop.
- Respond in a timely manner to all e-mails and phone calls requiring technical assistance.
- Basic understanding of Lighting, Sound and Projection requirements.
- Engineer and develop any mechanical and/or automated scenic elements for ETC stage productions or outside builds as required.
Safety and Cleanliness:
- Oversees rigging necessary for each event to make certain the safe installation of all overhead mechanics, automation, and flown scenery.
- Oversees routine inspection and maintenance of all rigging equipment.
- Maintain a clean and safe workspace for all personnel both in the scenic shop and the New Vic Theater.
- Schedule in coordination with the Production Manager any all maintenance in the scenic shop or New Vic Theater.
- Collaborates with staff to fulfill all institutional goals for stage productions and event requirements.
- Participates in future planning.
- Communicates scenic needs, concerns, and events to Production Manager.
- The TD will act as Master Carpenter as needed primarily for finishing carpentry and trim work per show.
- The TD performs other duties as assigned by Production Manager.
- Must be able to lift 75+ pounds unaided and in repetition.
- May be required to occasionally work in extreme conditions: at heights, in confined spaces, and in adverse and high temperature weather.
- Must maintain a safe and orderly working environment.
- Must maintain a valid driver’s license.
- Must be comfortable driving a fully loaded 26’ box truck.
- Ability to collaborate with designers and directors, lead professional crews, communicate expectations and progress promptly and accurately.
- Minimum 3 years professional experience in Stage theatre production.
- Proficiency in Vectorworks and Sketchup (3D required)
Requirements must be received in PDF form via e-mail only.
This is a full-time position. Due to the nature of professional theatre, periodic evenings and weekends are expected. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. 45-48,000 annual